Sunday, February 1, 2009

Listless no More


Fipsie has been acting a little listless of late. Several times, I've caught him staring at a wall or walking halfway to the porch door and just stop-staring. Other times, he's just flopped on the ground in the dog-as-rag mode. But his gums are pink and eats normally. Although I've walked los pals at least once I day, I've been at the glow-box a lot and I don't think I've paid them enough attention.

Last night, I decided to resume our night-walks, which I've neglected, and both pups headed out with eagerness. They like the night walks because at this time of year the sky is clear and the air is chill. I like the night walks because there are few cars out and the Earth resumes its god-given state. We did a full downtown circuit plus high school poke about. Both dogs were in sniff-mode.

Today, Fips was more or less normal, although I still got the impression he was bored out of his doggie mind. Tonight as I brought a cup of brew back to the desk to do more glow-boxing, Fips came up and just stared up at me with wide and hopeful eyes.

Aus?

Boink ... boink ... boinky-boink... boink....

So ausbands, leashes, scarves, hats, and keys assembled, they tore out the door. I've developed a technique of locking the knob and inserting the key into the door before I actually step outside. The reason for this is that the pups tear out of the house as if they were greyhounds at the races. If I am quick enough, I can lock the door and pull out the key before the extension leashes jerk the doggies back and put a damper on their charge. Tonight my coordination was flawless.

If last night was precision sniffing, tonight was perky trotting. Fipsie was just full of it. Head up and prancing about town. Most of the time he hardly stopped at all, but just wanted to keep up the pace. On the return circuit, he just about ran all the way quite out-pacing junior....

I guess I have my assignment; but I love it when Fips is an ultra friskie doggie.

.

No comments: