Tuesday, October 13, 2009

L'il Rosco Falls through a Roof


One advantage (among several) of living on a horse-farm is that a free-form walk is just outside the door. No need for leashes or drives to anywhere. And so the past two days have been studded with walklets which the doggies have used to explore the grounds and get their soundings of the place.

Late last night, before bed, I decided to take the dogs for another mini-out. It was cool and moonlit. As Fips sniffed around the planters Rosco followed a scent onto a platform by the side of our cottage. There is a drop in ground level toward the rear so that, at the backside of the house, the platform is actually the roof over some sort of stable-like shed. I watched as Rosco sniffed back and forth, his fur cast in a bluish moon glow.

I was just about to call Rosco back to the road level when all of a sudden, amidsts a clang of looose corrugated metal sheetings, Rosco dropped through what had been the roof onto the grassy gulley below. Oh Christ....


As I rushed over, Rosco scampered up from the gulley and ran onto the roadway. I was instantly relieved to see that he could run. And just then his hind legs gave way and he collapsed onto his butt.

Instant visions of veterinary nightmares.

I rushed over to him, knealt down and --- somehow, I don't recall exactly how -- I held his neck while I pulled out his hind quarters as if he were an accordion. I had no idea and no thought as to what I was doing. I just did it; and somehow it seemed to work... he recovered control over his legs and trotted over to the doorway, with a very attentive and very concerned me assesssing his every move.

One of the disadvantages of moving is that one doesn't bring along essentials like methocarbamol ... a muscle relaxant Rosco was given a couple of years ago when he strained his shoulder. So for want of a drug, I gently lifted him onto the bed and just as gently stroked his spine and massaged his hips and thighs. There was a little quivering in his haunchie but it gradually dissipated.

On the morrow... so far so good... Rosco has been trotting about normally all day. Still I am going to have to keep an eye on him. A country horse-ranch is a lot of fun.. but there are hidden dangers neither dog nor human are aware of.
.

No comments: