Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Fips Shortcircuits


Fips had a seizure today, on the way back from the gym, just as I turned the corner down 64th Street. At first, I thought he had lost his balance on account of the turn, but I quickly noticed he was seizing up all over. I turned into the first driveway I could and just held him tight as he shook, flailed and trembled.

Once the seizure was over I drove to Dr. Rana's up in Langley. I'm amazed at how less than hysterical I was. Fips sat in the chair panting hard and half-pooping.

Rana wasn't there, only the "other" vet, who is in fact no more than an assistant wearing "Rana DVM"'s coat. The "vet" checked Fips out, and the important point is that all his vital signs were basically the same as they have been, except that Fips gained two pounds! The "vet" decided Fips had had a seizure, for which he recommended Phenobarbitol. I mentioned the September incident and the possibility of doing blood work, to which the "vet" said that "seizures have nothing to do with the blood; they're in the brain."

At this point I realized that this visit was almost pointless, a conclusion which was underscored by the "vet's" recommendation I have Fips's teeth cleaned (for a "discounted" price of $450.00) And at that point I asked for the x-rays, took the meds and left, figuring I got basically what was needed for now.

Back home Fips was restless and walked around and around in a circle, but otherwise seemed okay. I decided to call Dr. Jack in the morning.

.

No comments: