Sunday, September 10, 1995

Guess What


This morning, at around ten, I looked out the window and noticed that the lake shore traffic was pretty light. It was sunny, but still moderately cool. "Good time for a quiet amble," I thought. "Aus, Fipsie?" When has he ever said no? So, keys and leash in hand we headed to the elevator, descended downstairs, scampered down the hallway and made it outside, where Fips chased across the street to check out the shrubs and stubby trees and see what news there was since yesterday.

I was standing around idly, giving Fips a long lead, when I noticed a big black lab walking down the gravel path around lake's edge. The dog looked up at me, hesitated and then continued on slowly and somewhat uncertainly. I looked up the path from whence he had come but did not see anyone. I looked back over to where Fips was sniffing and again did not see anyone. The lab was alone.

"Hey little doggie...."

The lab stopped, half turned around and uneasily let me approach him.

"What's up?"

He flinched as I held out my hand.

I slowed my motions and eased into patting him on the side on neck. The dog had a harness but no tags. He was not emaciated and looked fairly well groomed.

"You lost, little doggie?"

I stood back again and looked about as Fips stood by and gave me a stare that said, C'mon, lez go

More likely he had been abandoned.

What to do, I wondered. But, of course, there was really no alternative. I reached over and extended my hand to make friendlies with the dog. He flinched again but was otherwise amenable to my coooing and caressing. After a short while of these introductions, I wrapped my hand around his harness and led him back to the road, tugging a baffled and sulky Fips with the other hand.

"Okay!" and we all chased across the street back to the apartment, down the hallway, into the elevator and up to our floor. The lab followed easily and was obviously domesticated. Fips followed and was obviously not too happy by this turn around of events. A walk is supposed to be a walk and...

I opened the door. The dog ran into the living room, came to an abrupt halt in the middle and let loose a stream of doggie wasser onto the carpet.

"Noooooooooo!"

Michael came out of his room.

"Guess what?"

.

No comments: